Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Ghosts Act I


Personally I don't like to read; but I gave this a chance and I actually really like it a lot. I read act 1 in about an hour and wanted to keep going. The story is just so interesting. In the whole play there is only a total of five characters, and almost from the beginning we know them all: Mrs. Alving, Oswald her son, Pastor Manders who is aslo a close family friend to the Alving's, Jocob Engstrand and his daughter Regine who is Mrs. Alvings servant. Every single one of these characters has their own story, but my favorite would be that of Oswald even though we may not know a lot about him yet. He got sent away from home because his mother did not want him to see how terrible his father was. Now that he is back he has such beliefs that one would not accept as normal in those days. One thing that Jacob says in the beginning of the act is that "we are frail creatures". That is so true the slightest problem could turn into something huge and hurt one worst than expected. The writing that is used by the author is that of realism and just by that quote one can see just how realistic Ibsens' writing is. I can not wait to read on I actually already started and I hope that in the end Regine leaves to go be with her father because that seems like the right thing to do despite their past relationship. They as father and daughter can create or add on to their relationship to make it great.

No comments: